De Beers latest Diamond Insight Report 2017 sheds light on new motivations for diamond jewellery acquisitions. One remarkable trend is that more women than ever are buying diamond jewellery for themselves. It creates new exciting opportunities.
Centuries before they became symbols of romantic love, diamonds respresented masculinity and power. Only the last decades women really started to play more powerful roles in society and in the workplace. The trends towards a greater female empowerment will only grow bigger.
3 MAJOR TRENDS:
- Women are receiving diamonds for multiple occasions both before and after marriage: a new job, a promotion and personal achievements.
- Self-purchase by women keeps rising because of their increased economic participation and higher earnings.
- The mature single woman is a new class of consumer. Diamonds are being purchased to symbolize a wider range of emotions, such as joy, optimism and pride.
Last year we informed you about the results of a study done by Frost & Sullivan in 6 countries. They compared the results of a positive answer to buy a lab grown diamond before and after having received the full information about this new choice in diamonds. With adequate knowledge of lab grown diamonds, an overwhelming 64% to 72% of respondents expressed interest in buying this new kind of diamond.
Women, Men and Couples: Difference in Behaviour
At Madestones we went a step further by trying to understand the differences in buying behaviour between women, men and couples. We saw a very surprising result. For nearly 80% of the women a lab grown diamond is a very desirable option because of its many advantages:
- The three major international diamond laboratories GIA, HRD and IGI are confirming that a lab grown diamond is identical to a mined diamond. The only difference is its origin.
- For the same budget, they can have a diamond that is 30-40% bigger in size.
- For the same budget, they can have a much better quality diamond.
- A beautiful pink, blue or yellow colour diamond is now very affordable.
- The diamond is social responsible.
- The diamond is environmentally friendly.
All the above are a combination of reasons why a lab grown diamond would be the preferred women’s option when purchasing a diamond jewellery. It’s a choice they deserve.